Choosing the Best GPS
In the last 30 years or so, since America launched their first Global Positioning System satellite, GPS systems have become increasingly advanced, and are now in common use on boats and on land. GPS equipment has meant that marine navigation is simpler than ever. There is a large range of options within the marine GPS ranges. For information on some of the best GPS systems available, including Garmin and Raymarine, see below.
Garmin GPSMAP 5015
This Garmin marine GPS has the brand’s biggest display screen ever at 15”. It is a top of the range touch screen controlled device. It is possible to hook this plotter up to many different remote sensors and datalinks including colour radar, sonar and much more. Thanks to its simple touch screen interface, this is an easy task.
Garmin GPSMAP 5015 Features
• No messing around with buttons and knobs because of the easy touch screen.
• Roads, shorelines and surface features are depicted realistically from the worldwide base map that is built into the device.
• This Garmin can be fitted with up-to-the-minute electronic charting technology with the Blue Chart G2 Vision. This gives a true 3D view and mapping from above and below the waterline that includes: high resolution satellite imagery; aerial photographic images of marinas and ports; navigation landmarks; points of interest.
• Garmin can also be connected to other marine instruments such as AIS and sonar.
• It can be controlled by wireless remote too.
Raymarine C120 12.1” Colour Multi Functional Display
This Raymarine GPS equipment is neither top of the range, nor bottom. It carries out all the functions that most mariners will need.
• Display is viewable in sunny conditions.
• Can be configured to single functions including chartplotter, fishfinder and radar.
• Can combine chart plotter, radar and echo sounder.
• Can use all functions in one larger combination
• Navigating through the marine GPS device itself is made simple due to its paging system. This offers displaying choices.
• Customise your own choice of windows with functions you need most.
• Twist N’ Click™ controls.
• Wide view angling.
• Anti-glare filtering.
Whatever your individual marine GPS needs and budgets are, there are many GPS systems available on the market.